Rules and Regulation
1. This regulation establishes the access terms, rights and obligations of entrepreneurs participating in the Blue Bio Value Ideation Program.
2. The Blue Bio Value is an ideation program promoted by the Oceano Azul Foundation and the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation and organized by FABSTART - Fábrica de Startups, S.A. in collaboration with Bluebio Alliance.
3. The 1st edition of the Blue Bio Value Ideation Program will be held in Portugal (many locations) and has duration of two and a half days.
II. Description and objectives of the Blue Bio Value Ideation Program
1. The Blue Bio Value mission is to accelerate the transition to a global and sustainable blue bioeconomy, capable of serving multiple industries while promoting a productive and healthy ocean, by contributing to the emergence of competitive and innovative businesses operating in the marine bioresources value chain.
2. The Blue Bio Value ideation program helps entrepreneurs developing business ideas that can be transformed into sustainable businesses. The program seeks solutions in the marine bioresources value chain that can scale-up to market applications in different industries and help tackle global societal challenges.
3. The program’s network of partners, including entrepreneurs, global companies, investors, universities, research and technological centres and the scientific community, public authorities, among others, offers significant advantages to the participants, transforming research into products and startups into global competitive companies.
III. Conditions of participation
1. Participants Profile can be multiple:
- Individual without an idea looking for a team and a business idea to develop
- Individual with a business idea
- Team with a business idea
2. The elements of the startups or teams must be aged 18 or more.
3. The program is targeted for people of any nationality (lectures in English).
4. The selected candidates will have to confirm their participation in the program by sending an e-mail up to 2 (two) business days after receiving confirmation of selection by the Organization.
5. Participation in the Blue Bio Value requires the physical presence and it is mandatory to attend the complete program (2,5 days).
1. Applications must be submitted on the website of Blue Bio Value - Ideation Program (www.bluebiovalue.pt) by filling in the application form available online.
2. After submitting the application form, the candidates will be contacted by the organization.
3. Additional information can be requested by the organization during the application process
V. Evaluation and Final Prize
1. The Program will award the best ideas (up to 3) by offering them (on the following three months) remote mentorship sessions and workshops to consolidate their business idea and to support them by helping them on the validation of their business model that should be achieved in the end of this period. During this period, winners will also prepare their applications for the next Blue Bio Value Acceleration Program edition in 2021.
2. The winner is chosen by the Program’s Jury, which is composed by the initiative’s partners. The Jury is free to choose more than one winner (up to 3).
3. The Jury will take into consideration the following criteria:
Performance throughout the acceleration program;
Attendance and engagement;
Business model potential;
Performance at the final pitch day event.
1. The Oceano Azul Foundation and Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, reserve the right to use, one or more times and whenever considered necessary or adequate the materials produced by the teams that are not confidential in public events, media publishing in every format and reproduction for communication and advertising purposes, without any fee or financial compensation and without the need of previous authorization.
2. Under this agreement confidential information means any and all information, in any medium, which is provided by one party (“Discloser”) to the other party (“Recipient”) including, without limitation, information that is either (i) related to business practices, financial statements, financial information, pricing, vendors, resellers, methods, techniques, processes, and employee data; (ii) marked using a legend such as “confidential,” or similar words; or (iii) any information which Recipient should have reasonably considered to be confidential under the circumstances surrounding disclosure.
3. The confidentiality obligations established in this clause shall remain in force throughout the life of this Blue Bio Value Acceleration Program and for three (3) additional years after its termination. Each of the Parties undertakes to deliver to the other all confidential information it may hold, or which may be in the hands of its employees or collaborators, or to destroy such information on the reasonable and express instruction of the other Party in the manner requested, depending on how such information is recorded. Moreover, the Parties shall be obliged to certify that they have returned, deleted or destroyed all material in their possession in accordance with the preceding paragraphs and, therefore, to provide the other Party with assurances that it does not hold any copies of the confidential information, either in whole or in part.
1. It is for each team to define who holds the rights over the presented and developed ideas and it’s each participant’s responsibility to secure the intellectual property rights on their ideas, if they so wish.
2. The Oceano Azul Foundation, Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Bluebio Alliance and Fábrica de Startups, do not ensure the protection of the originality of the ideas, projects or concepts and will not be held responsible in case any of the ideas presented within the program is copied, imitated, plagiarized or in any way used by a third party.
3. The previous paragraph does not apply to all confidential information in accordance with the next paragraph.
4. The rights to intellectual and industrial property of the presentations made by Fábrica de Startups, as well as all the support documentation made available by it to the participants during the Bootcamp phase belong to Fábrica de Startups.
5. The participants are solely responsible for protecting their intellectual property rights (patents, trademarks, copyright, trade secrets, etc.).
6. The Blue Bio Value organization wants you to know that there are always certain risks involved in competitions of this nature in regards to intellectual property. Because the Blue Bio Value organization is not in a position to protect or advise you on your intellectual property rights, it does not take any responsibility for the disclosure of information provided by you in the application form. Please be aware that the Blue Bio Value organization does not require non-disclosure agreements or other confidentiality obligations from anyone involved in the process.
1. Oceano Azul Foundation, Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Bluebio Alliance and Fábrica de Startups cannot be held responsible for the cancellation, postponement or any change in the Bio Value Ideation Program on any of its phases due to unforeseen causes or in cases of force majeure.
2. Under this Bio Value Ideation Program it is considered as a force majeure any event or circumstance which is beyond the reasonable control of a Party which results in or causes that Party’s failure to perform any or all of its obligations under this Blue Bio Value Ideation Program (including act of God, strike, lockout or other industrial action (not involving the workforce of that Party), war (declared, undeclared or threatened), terrorist act, riot, civil commotion, public demonstration, act of vandalism, explosion, or requirement of a Competent Authority.
IX. Acceptance of the regulation
Participating in Blue Bio Value Program implies full acceptance of the rules in this regulation by the participants and the renouncement of complaints or appeals, legal or otherwise, regarding the course of events of the Program or any decision made by the Blue Bio Value Program Organization.
Participating in Blue Bio Value Program also implies the acceptance to be filmed and photographed and accepts the usage of those materials to communication and marketing usage.
X. General provisions
1. The Organizing Committee reserves the right to modify, suspend or cancel this initiative in circumstances of force majeure, this not implying a compensatory allowance to the applicants.
2. The participations that are considered fraudulent will be notified to the competent authorities, and may be prosecuted. Any unauthorized attempt of intrusiveness in the computing or communication systems supporting this initiative will be considered illicit and shall be notified to the competent authorities.
3. The Organizing Committee reserves the right to inhibit the participation of applicants that it considers to be competing fraudulently.
4. The Organizing Committee cannot be held responsible for any human or technical error that may occur during this initiative, and that is not committed intent or recklessness and disclaims any liability resulting therefrom.
XI. Applicable Lex Forum
1. This Blue Bio Value Program and any non-contractual obligations arising out or in connection with it shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with Portuguese law.
2. In the event of any dispute the boards of directors of all Parties shall use their reasonable endeavours to resolve the dispute in an amicable way and any such solution that is agreed between them shall be binding upon all Parties.
3. Applicants accept that any litigation within the program will be submitted exclusively to the Civil Courts of Lisbon.
The entity responsible for data processing is Fábrica de Startups, with office in Avenida Marginal, Ed. Parque Oceano, 3º G, 2780-337 Oeiras, telephone 214 228 870, www.fabricadestrartups.com. The processing of the personal data included in the application form for Blue Bio Value Ideation Program will be used for purposes of commercial and marketing activities and organization of the project only. The user has the right and the duty to notify the National Data Protection Commission (CNPD), using the available means www.cnpd.pt, whenever it considers that there has been a breach of privacy by Fábrica de Startups. The user can always contact Fábrica de Startups operations department to remove the information by sending an email to our official address: with the following request: "Please delete and remove all personal information attached to my email address".
XIII. Promoters and Partners
The OCEANO AZUL FOUNDATION is a Portugal-based Foundation with the purpose of contributing to the conservation and sustainable use of the ocean, notably with a view to:
Developing blue literacy and fostering the public's understanding of the challenges of ocean sustainability;
Contributing to the conservation of the oceans, promoting the value of biodiversity and the development of sustainable uses;
Contributing to a new system of governance of the oceans, guided by ethical values and based on scientific knowledge, as well as contributing to the development of an innovative, environmentally sustainable blue economy.
The CALOUSTE GULBENKIAN FOUNDATION is a Portuguese private institution of public utility, which was created in 1956 in accordance with the last will and testament of Calouste Sarkis Gulbenkian. It actively pursues its statutory aims in the fields of the arts, charity, education and science in Portugal and abroad, including through its UK Branch and Paris Delegation. The Foundation promotes a wide range of programs and projects that contribute to overcoming particular needs in contemporary society and seek innovative responses to problems in the current world. The Blue Bio Value is supported by the Gulbenkian Sustainability Program which aims to promote the development of a society that is committed to future generations, environmentally responsible, economically viable and socially fair.
FÁBRICA DE STARTUPS is a business accelerator that aims to create new startups in Portugal. Our mission is to help people to become successful entrepreneurs. Using our own methodologies, we help them identifying business ideas, creating teams, designing the business model, finding customers and launching the company. FÁBRICA DE STARTUPS focuses on promoting entrepreneurship and supporting in the creation, validation, and internationalization of startups. It also conducts startup advisory programs.
The BLUEBIO ALLIANCE is a national network that includes all subsectors of the marine bioresources value chain in Portugal. It ranges from raw material producers, R&D units, to biotech SMEs, transforming centres and manufacturers, public sector entities and support companies, up to the final consumer product developers. The BLUEBIO ALLIANCE aims at collectively organizing this value chain, to foster its relations and dynamics, leveraging its SMEs growth and accelerating their internationalization by increasing their outreach and exportations, leading to more jobs and value creation for Portugal.